Firefighters in England have recently announced their intention to undertake industrial action from 6pm 31 October to 6pm 4 November. In previous strikes the Fire Brigades Union have indicated that in the event of a major fire they will exempt firefighters from such action if they volunteer to help, however, there may be a delay in their attendance. Please find below a list of actions that organisations should consider during this period:
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the planned industrial action and actions that they should take in the event of a fire.
- Review existing fire risk assessments and emergency procedures to decide whether or not additional measures are required.
- Check that all fire protection and detection systems are fully operational.
- Review business activities scheduled for this period giving particular focus to high risk risk activities.
- If possible, reschedule any Hot Work planned for this time.
- Reduce the risk of arson by carrying out an inspection of existing storage arrangements.
Griffiths & Armour Risk Management